Saturday, August 21, 2010

Congrats or Not? NOT

So I’m just sitting down in on my favorite no frills on the water restaurants while my DH goes to order food after one of THE most stressful days ever when I feel a tap on my shoulder. So I turn and it’s a lady I know by face only coming to say hello. She saw me from across the restaurant and wanted to say hi and congrats on my being pregnant. WHAT? Stop the presses. Hold. The. Phone.


Now I have my issues with food and weight that I’m dealing with and this is not the first time I’ve heard this congrats line in the 16 years since I’ve had my twins and my stomach was stretched beyond the great beyond.

After I got a hold of myself I looked at the women and said, no baby here it’s just fat and she tried to cover by saying that she’s got weight to lose herself, but by then I was done. I could barely enjoy my food or my husband’s company (he had returned to our table by then and missed the comment but could see I was put out).



Part of me wanted to say to her what was her deal assuming something like that when she was not sure? What is it about people that makes them think that whatever is in their head can come out of their mouth and we should all be ridiculously food and body obsessed? Can we just get some manners or do I have to wear a tee shirt and label myself?



Maybe I could go couture with Gaultier?

Whatever. I’m going to try and not let it get me too down. When I left the house I thought I looked good, my husband told me I looked good so, I can’t let one comment ruin my self image.


Love You, Love Me,
Kwana

6 comments:

  1. Gurl -- sometimes you've gotta just let go and let God. Other's just givem the stank eye. Kudos for you for not losing your cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I HATE people who say things like that. But, on the other hand, when I've gained a lot of weight (which I have), I also hate the patently false "oh, have you lost weight, you look great." No, I don't. And I am not a freaking idiot. So why not just comments about weight off the table entirely? OK, I am going to get off my chubby soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Laura and Dren. People can be so annoying. You are right they should just keep the weight comments to themselves good or bad and say you look nice. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet she never makes that comment again, ever, to another woman. I did that once many years ago. I was in the checkout line at the grocery store and the woman in front of me certainly looked pregnant. When I asked her about it, she also told me very kindly that I was wrong. OOPS!!!! Never did it again. A woman could be obviously pregnant with multiples but I will never again ever ask! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mother taught me to always say thank-you for a compliment, and I would have said, "Why thank-you, and then proceeded to tell her that it was not one baby, but septuplets!"
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so sorry....

    I had that happen to me in WalMart once.

    I have to agree with others, bet she doesn't make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always happy to read comments. So show some LOVE but no Hateration please.